Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Weekly Challenge #312 - Spilled Coffee




This week's challenge was to allow a spilled drink to define the string for a Zentangle. Can't get more Zen than that! My coffee with cream and sugar made a lovely beige color. and it very cooperatively divided the tile into 4 sections.

First I filled the beige section with my latest fav tangle: Frumkey. I was too busy to enter the Frumkey challenge 2 weeks ago, so I am making up for lost time. Frumkey reminds me of Joki and 'Dillo, two other favorites of mine. All three seem to have lots of curvy fun chaos. I am new to using a sienna 01 pen. Seems VERY exciting to me to start to add color after 8 months of tangling in black and white only. But I have always been easily amused!

For my second tangle, I remembered Maria saying she liked to combine curves with grids, or maybe she said curvy tangles with more rectangular tangles. Anyway, I thought a grid would provide contrast, so I put in an area of Yew Dee.

The coffee spill created a very nice sized triangle at what was becoming the "top." That gave me the idea of using Foldz, a tangle that seems to lend itself to triangles. I didn't like how it looked, but then once it was shaded it was much improved. Shading Foldz makes a big difference. Shading everything makes a big difference!

Finally I wanted something to tie it all together. Betweed seemed just the thing. I think Betweed is an amazingly mysterious tangle, up there with Paradox. There is so little to drawing it, but so much when you look at it. Between continues to Bewitch!

Thanks to Laura Harms for putting up the challenge each week.

14 comments:

  1. Fantastic tile! I love that you used Frunky! I can't stop drawing that tangle! It's everywhere in my sketch book! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! At first i thought it was too simple, but then i really started to like how fun it is.

      Delete
  2. I love how Frunky in the foreground really feels three-dimensional. Great coffee string and great tile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice compositon and well chosen tangles, drawn beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just beautiful. Good job. Love the foldz.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you really pour coffee onto the paper? It made such a gorgeous design by itself! And, of course, I love what you did with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun tile with Frunky growing up the middle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful tile! I like your choice of tangles!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice tangling! Where may I find the step outs for Frumkey?

    ReplyDelete